Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Well, this is interesting... my blog page info comes up in Thai! Trying to sign in to write a new blog is something like looking at the debit machine in an unfamiliar store without my reading glasses on. .. punch something somewhere, and hope for the best!
It was Friday night; a beautiful, sultry Friday night, and Josh and Randi had been planning an evening of delights for us for some time. We walked down the neighbourhood lane filled with tropical trees, fragrant flowers of unknown identity, and apartment balconies filled with multi=coloured laundry freshening up in the oncoming evening. I gazed entranced into gated yards (all yards are surrounded by wrought iron fences) that bewitched me with promises of stories and mysteries to be discovered with relish and appreciation of the people living here.
As we approached the main route to the Indian restaurant we were heading for, we stopped briefly at - would you believe it - 7-Eleven, to pick up cash from their debit machine; so much for my illusion of a totally foreign, slightly backward city!
We caught a cab to the skytrain, climbed up a story or two, and whizzed off to some distant destination.
Twenty minutes or so later, we disembarked in a most charming part of Bangkok filled with a combination of street vendors, shops, and restaurants. We entered an unassuming little restaurant with low decorating priorities but unbelievable authentic Indian food. For someone who grew up on simple Mennonite fare, I've come a ways!.
We dropped into bed late, knowing that the next morning we headed off to the resort island of Koh Samet.
Now, in Bangkok, you take a taxi; everywhere! There are buses, but who knows how to use them? And in North American standards, taxis are very reasonable. So - we took a taxi to the pier from which we would take a boat to the island of Koh Samet ; an over 2 hour ride!
The pier is in a harbour town that boasts of great food markets, and shops selling any and every shell craft available. The speed boat we took to Koh Samet promised to be much faster than the public ferry, but also cost double. We plunged forward, attacking huge ripples from the numerous boats in and around the marina with abandon. Exhilarating and invigorating it was.
Koh Samet is an intriguing combination of National Park, town, and resort with a flourshing tourist industry. The beaches are clean, the water is deliciously clear, and the sand is incredibly white and hot.
We found a cute cottage built with what appeared to be solid mahogany not far from the beach, and settled in.
Pineapple Coconut iced drinks, delicious Thai meals, and ocean swimming were only the beginning of a delightful 2 days.
The variety of charming rental cottages seemed to be endless. And as darkness descended, fire dancers came to entertain and delight.
For some reason, sleep eluded me, and very early in the morning I walked down to the beach to pray and watch the moon set and the sun rise.
It disturbed me considerably to watch as a young western tourist was led by a young Thai man across the beach in search of his accomodations. He was completely innebriated, and tried several times to stagger into the tide waters against the Thai's leading. I thought how unfortunate it is that we as tourists set such a negative picture of our culture.
I got a Thai massage! In fact, I got two of them!. On the beach.. on a blanket under a palm, in the shade. With exotic Thai ointment!. Paul, you could learn a thing or two from these little Thai ladies.... they stand on their client's back thighs and pull up the feet and knees - you should try it!
I also broke my toe... left foot, middle toe - on a tree root. I was swimming, and decided that since I had already wet my leather sandals several times, I would let my feet dry before putting them on again. And sure enough, I heard the bone crack as I smashed against a protruding root. I bravely did not scream in pain, though I would have gladly fainted. The trip just became more complicated, as I tried to hobble onward and upward.
We took the ferry the long way; Thai ferries are much more lenient than Canadian ones. We left and came back for late passengers at least four times before finally emarking on the trip back. It began to feel like Ground Hog day! And the people! What a wonderful assortment of retired Sri Lankan gentlemen, Indian tourists, Thai families, fishermen, children, Chinese, Canadians. Not an experience to be missed.
Don't touch my toe!

No comments:

Post a Comment