Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Off the ground, into the air, kisses blown, we tore our eyes away from the past and into the skies ahead. It wasn't quite the first reaction I had expected since I have flown numerous times before, but the plane from Winnipeg to Chicago was small, full, and cramped; and I was claustrophobic. I took a deep breath, and put effort into keeping my mind in wide open places. Chicago was not warm. And we left our warm jackets back home. So the almost hour long wait for the AWOL promised hotel shuttle was less than encouraging as we got more and more cold. After 3 calls, he finally came with no explanation or mortified apology. So much for an auspicious beginning!
After 5 hours of sleep... Terminal 5, International Flights! All I can say, is, if you EVER have opportunity to fly Japan Air, take it. We were treated with incredible courtesy and grace. The flight from Chicago to Tokyo was just under 13 hours, and for some divine reason, we were placed in mid grade seats which were roomy and very comfortable. Great food, Japanese movies with English subtitles, great time.
Flying over Anchorage, Inuvik and the far north was an amazing sight. We, along with 4 or 5 other people who did not have window seats crowded around the tiny window near the flight attendants' station to gaze at the spectacular view. Hundreds of miles of glacial pyramids dazzle the imagination and nourished my spirit. Far from human attention, Father God sculpts and paints for the sheer joy of creation.
We spent just over 3 hours in the airport in Tokyo. Strange - everyone speaks Japanese! 
Japanese women are very beautiful, and carry themselves very graciously and confidently.... which leaves me out of the loop! Good thing I have other skills!
The flight from Tokyo to Bangkok was longer than expected.... 61/2 hours. So the grand total was 21 hours in the air, not counting the overnight in Chicago and the layover in Tokyo.
 As we approached Thailand, and I saw lights flickering far below, something very strange happened. I was overcome with emotion. Something deep within rose up with the realization that I was incredibly blessed to be able to come to this land, and that far beyond any of my dreams and expectations, I - insignificant though I am, was being spoiled as a beloved daughter by my heavenly Father. I am almost embarrassed with His extravagance. 
We wake up to tropical birds singing in the early morning darkness. I had almost forgotten the sound. We have been allowed to rent a little apartment in my nephew and niece's block in a wealthy area of Bangkok. I hadn't realized how sophisticated this city is, and am very impressed with the beautiful gated homes and glassed in financial centres just around the block from us. 
Last night, we went to a fabulous outdoor restaurant that is a mechanic repair shop during the day, and presto chango, transforms to a restaurant at night! I want to get photos of the metamorphosis. The food is fabulous and amazingly reasonably priced. Five of us ate for about 12 dollars! My feet have blisters, but I have bandaids. When I figure out how to post pictures I will. Diane Henley, you must come with your birding gear - I wish you were here. 

2 comments:

  1. you probably flew over Inuvik RIGHT when I was there!!!! That's so cool!


    Your food sounds amazing. It is making me hungry.

    I am so happy for you guys! Live it up!

    ReplyDelete