Wednesday, February 17, 2010

not all donuts are created equal!

For a price, Ex-Pats living in Bangkok can take the 10 minute walk (20 if you're on crutches and afraid to cross the street) over to the American grocery store. You can find many items from back home like grapes, bread, butter, cream (very important!), cheese, chocolate, you get the idea. I could see myself finding my way there regularly if I lived here for any length of time - but at a price.
Just starting to get over a bug of some sort, and wary of street food, Gwen and I wound our way though parked motorcycle taxis on the sidewalk, vendors, buddhist shrines, across a busy intersection and over to the much anticiipated sight of canned soup from home. Campbell's Chicken Noodle to be exact.
One can of soup, a small loaf of bread, milk, a Pomellow (kind of like grapefruit), and a bit of peppercorn creamcheese later, we headed for the door - till we notic ed they had a corner stall allocated to Dunkin Donuts! WELL - who can resist?
We chose carefully, wanting as much pleasure from each bite as possible.
When you see those triangle tasties with the flakey icing and caramel drizzle on them, DO NOT BUY THEM!
I took one bite, and thought it strange - they didn't taste a bit like they looked! I took another bite, and realized they really DID NOT taste good. I wondered if I was sicker than I thought, or if there was something wrong with these things. I thought I'd ask Gwen when she got up from her nap, but didn't have opportunity to before Josh and Randi walked in the door, home from work. Josh went straight to the donut box, took one look, and asked with derision " what? you bought (I think it was salt pork?) donuts? They're terrible! Why did you buy them? They look like they have mold on them!
A day later, and the donuts wait for us. Up on the fridge. I glance at them in pity and a pang of regret, knowing we will never eat them, but unwilling to throw them out - quite yet - if only....


2 comments:

  1. Wow sounds like an adventure. Kevin is in Israel now. Your closer to him than we are. I hope his adventures are just as exciting as yours. Just one difference, he has to work all day. So far Zeb spoke to him and he was trying to read road signs. Have fun xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. a ha ha. i can totally see Josh saying that!

    so it was made of ... pork?

    ReplyDelete